- 4 cups of packed fresh arugula (preferably organic, not moldy)
- 1 tablespoon freshly minced garlic (2-3 cloves)- let sit for 10 minutes
- 2 tablespoons chopped raw walnuts plus 1 tablespoon
- 1 cup of extra virgin olive oil
- Dash of pepper and cayenne each to taste
- 1/8 teaspoon powdered vitamin C (optional) or juice from ½ small lemon
Prepare an ice water bath in a large bowl and bring a large pot of water to a boil. Put the arugula in a fine mesh strainer or sieve and plunge it into the boiling water. Immediately immerse the arugula and stir so that it blanches evenly. Remove after 15 seconds. Shake off excess water and then plunge the arugula into the ice bath and stir again so it cools as fast as possible. Drain well.
Squeeze the water out of the arugula with your hands until very dry. Roughly chop the arugula and put it into the blender/Vitamix. Add the garlic, pepper and cayenne to taste, olive oil, 2 tablespoon walnuts and the vitamin C, if using. Blend for at least 30 seconds.
If you have not used vitamin C, squeeze juice from half a lemon into the mixture at the end. Before serving, add remaining walnuts on top.