When I say I grew up with this salad, it's true. Whenever my Mom could get a ripe avocado in New Brunswick, Canada (rarely but yearly) we would eat this salad. Peeling the grapefruit might sound tedious, but I've tried it both ways many times, and trust me, you will never regret including this detail in your prep time. I've added the beets for detox purposes, but it's not the original recipe.
· Grate fresh beet or use boiled beets (optional)
· 1.5 whole grapefruit, peeled. Reserve 1/2 for dressing
· 1 ripe avocado, sliced lengthwise (do this last)
· Finely chopped onion to taste
· 1 Head of bib lettuce or 2 bunches mesclun mix
· 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
· Juice from ½ grapefruit or lemon
- Delicately peel the grapefruit sections
- Chop/grate rest of ingredients
- Slice avocado thinly
- Into salad bowl gently add ingredients so as not to break grapefruit and avocado
- Dress and toss with your best cold pressed extra virgin olive oil and remaining grapefruit juice.