I am a coffee drinker so especially during detox time, on mornings when I can't go without I try to find ways to increase the nutritional impact. Superfoods like the medicinal "mushroom" chaga is a perfect response. In addition to it's high antioxidant value and immune boosting effects, the nice thing about chaga, is you could actually skip the coffee all together and just keep the chaga. It's the right color of brown.
Many recipes will tell you to grind the chaga, but using the whole piece is just as effective, and can be reused until it's no longer providing color, just remember to dry it between uses.
- 4 T you favorite ground coffee - preferably organic
- 1 inch lump of Wild Chaga
- 8 cups of Water
- Optional 1/4 Cup Organic cow milk or during detox, unsweetened nut milk (coconut, almond, hemp)
- Dash of cinnamon
- Boil water in a kettle
- Add coffee and chaga to bodum French press
- Pour boiled water over
- Steep 3-5 minutes
- Press plunger down
- If you would like to turn it into a latte, then warm your milk to scalding point. Froth it with a milk whizzer, of if you do not have one, put the warmed milk in a glass jar with a tight light- shake rapidly until frothy.
- Sprinkle with cinnamon